Thursday, October 11, 2007

Musicians vs. dancers

In the last few days I've been exchanging some emails with a prominent musician, about contemporary tango music, dancing and live music. It all started when I expressed my desire to hear more "Golden Era" arrangements when live music is played, as opposed to hearing the late Pugliese/Piazzola which most musicians seem so fond of.

During this email conversation I realized how huge the disconnect is from the musician to the dancer. While well intended, as he took time of what I have no doubt busy schedule to explain and educate me on his values, preferences and music in general, he was extremely condescending, his tone is his emails amounting to what an adult would use to talk to a 4 year old who challenges his infinite wisdom.

Now, he is being playing tango music for decades, so I am a 4 year old when it comes to my ability to intellectually understand tango music (or any music for that matter), but he is convinced that since I don't know any music theory, I can't possibly comprehend the concept of harmony, I don't know what rhythm is not am I able to hear the phrases which create the melody. And he is probably right, I can't do that, no like himself or other trained musicians can. But while I can't listen to the music intellectually, I listen to it instinctively. If the harmony is not "right", I won't like the song, if the rhythm is not "right" I won't feel the desire to dance to it, if the melody is not "right" I won't be emotionally touched by it.

His attitude is "you are all musical illiterates, shut up and listen to what I am playing, as I understand music, and you don't". Interestingly enough, I do understand his point of view. Many people when they look at some of my pictures, they are in awe of the pretty, colorful sunsets and kind of confused about the black & white abstracts I love. They hold dear a badly focused, badly exposed, badly composed picture, because the content touches them for some reason. I lost that ability, when I look at a badly exposed, focused and composed picture I can't enjoy the content, no matter what it is, the "presentation" completely ruins it for me. Even my limited photography "education" had that effect on me, I can only guess what happens after playing tango music for over two decades. I don't think they are able to see the beauty in the simplicity of the music I like.

What is my point? In my opinion, today's professionals tango musicians lost their "innocence". Or they likely never had it. They never listened the tango music with a non-professional ear, so how they can possibly comprehend how I hear it? They know everything there is to know about tango music, they hear things most of us can't, and they don't understand how most of us, the dancers without a music education, listen to music. They all keep playing the same music, Piazzola, Pugliese or arrangements like that. They rarely, if ever, play the "Golden Era" arrangements. They are too simple for their skills. They (and the musician in question) justify their selection by saying that they can't all play the 40s music, or tango would die and they played for the greatest dancers in the world, who love their music. That Piazzola/Pugliese revolutionized tango music. While I actually like to dance to some of the Pugliese's interpretations, I really like the pre-revolutionary music. I would say that most people do too, otherwise the DJs would all play Pugliese & Piazzola the entire night.

So, as far as I am concerned, tango music, the music that most of us, the music illiterates like to dance to, actually did die. Luckily, we have the recordings. I'll have to learn to put up with the live music performances. And no, I will not do it quietly.

If you have any thoughts about live music at milongas, feel free to add a comment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The difficulty you're having with live music is that musicians and dancers want different things from music. It has nothing to do with musical training.

Music that is easy (possible/enjoyable) to dance to has a constant tempo in a restricted range and follows an established rhythmic formula.

Music that is interesting for musicians to play and interesting to listen to in a concert does unexpected things with tempo and rhythm.

What you (and every other dancer) want from a live band is, essentially, a pop group who sticks to the established formula. Unfortunately, tango music is no longer actually pop music, and most modern groups I've heard seem to consider themselves too sophisticated to stay on tempo. This is a problem for every kind of social dance, in my experience.

(Incidentally, I would say that a good portion of tango techno, including whoever was playing Friday at the NY festival, suffers from the opposite problem--there's rarely very much going on rhythmically with the music, so there's nothing to play with tango-wise.)

Anonymous said...

yeahp. various styles of tango music exist and each dancer is entitled to be enjoyed by particular music nuances. musicians have their own preferences, too. the primary criteria for chosing the music is the joy of it - isn't it? - otherwise, the tones and the moves turn just into mechanical robotik. i would say feel the music that you like and keep the joy of dancing ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sorin,
I am a tango dancer, a tango DJ, a life long musician and a bandoneon player who plays live music at milongas here in the UK.

My bandoneon maestro used to get very annoyed when he played live if people didn't stop dancing and listen and so I have always insisted that my playing is for dancers and dancing. Where possible, I play solo in the middle of the floor because this way it feels like the dancers are becoming musicians and the bandoneon a dancer - does that make sense?

For me the bando is alive. It breathes and carries a strong sense of connection to all the musicians who have sat it on their lap.
I play classic tango and vals, simply and in complete connection with the dancers around me. It takes the same sort of focus of mind, body and spirit as when I dance.

Anonymous said that musicians and dancers want different things from music. I don't agree. Ensemble musicians are accutely aware of their fellows and are constantly striving to work creatively to make a whole sound in the same way two people strive to be one dancer with four legs.

Musically, I find a three minute tango as musically challenging and structured as a Beethoven symphony. This can be too rich for novice tango dancers and the more prescribed schema of techno tango is a comfort zone both for listening and dance interpretation.
As a DJ I play a mix of classic and not so classic tango music. I have never been asked the name of a classic tango, but have lost count of the number of times dancers have come up to ask the name of an 'alternative' tango piece.

Initially I started to play non tango to clear the musical pallette and revive energy for classic tandas, but now at our three day festivals, the third milonga is all alternative tango with the occasional classic tango thrown in. I still play bando on these nights, in the middle of the floor after a fews words of connection to the dancers and I am always amazed at the response. The bandoneon speaks to the soul so clearly and I can see the dancers react. It is a truly wonderful experience for me as a musician.

Regards
Steve Morrall, Django Tango, Southampton, UK

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed how so many musicians simply want to play for themselves, and not for their audience. I suspect that I know what band you are talking about, and its a shame, as they can play, but their song selection is so poor that I'll likely NEVER go another Milonga where they are playing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sorin,

I once asked you if you ever would put piazzolla while DJ'ing. you looked at me like I was offending you or something. I look young and and am a new tango dancer, so I can tolerate your dismissive attitude towards me. But I am actually musically literate and I can play music.

I find that your attitude towards my question is exactly the same you are complaining about from musicians. Truth be told, most great musicians want to play for musicians and you specially see this in more technically evolved music like jazz. Jazz is nowadays a music for musicians - which, mind you, may not be able to play a musical instrument - but it didn't use to be. In fact, a lot of people don't like jazz after the 40's because of that. It was music made to get people dancing.

Now, I still maintain that there is Piazzolla that is amenable to dance. But you probably need to develop your musical abilities. This doesn't mean that you need to learn music, it just means that you need to develop that skill. Just like a lot of people can't appreciate a bach solo violin piece and then it clicks.

Piazzolla's nuances are immensely gratifying and being able to dance to it means that your tango has gone on from a more traditional and "standard" dance to a more plastic and musically evolved one.

Just my perspective.

ps: live tango bands that don't play for dancers - steady beat, predictable stuff - have no place in milongas. Unless they have a very well known repertoire so that people know what to expect...

Sorin said...

Bruno,

Sorry for appearing dismissive, I think you caught me in a particularly bad mood.

I am sure people can dance on any music, be that golden age tango, Piazzolla or jazz for that matter. Personally I don't like most of Piazzolla's music even for listening, much less for dancing. To me it's too dramatic and strident/abrupt (the cords in particular). I am pretty sure I can train myself to find (some of) the nuances and at this point the tempo changes are not a big challenge for me, but the big question is WHY?

There are hundreds if not thousands of amazing tango songs who are perfect for dancing, which I didn't get to know intimately. Why would I want to force myself to dance to music that by the admission of the composer himself was not meant for dancing?

Come talk to me next time we see each other and we can talk some more about it, I might be able to convey my feelings on this better in person (when I'm not in a bad mood that is... ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sorin,

yes, we all have bad days, don't worry :)

If you don't like it, then yes, there's no point in going for it. I find it wonderful.

I'll nag you a bit next time you are a bit free - you're always dancing :) I want to learn from your DJ'ing experience!

see you soon
b