Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Djing the Odd Tuesday Milonga

My first milonga as a DJ was supposed to be tonight. So last night, when I went to the "Odd Tuesday Milonga" I took the laptop with me to work on some play lists. When I got there, Steve, the host, was fumbling with his laptop, looking kind of frustrated. It seems he was missing some music so I said, you know, I have my laptop with me if there is a problem with the music. He looked at me, said, "you want to do the music?", I said, "Uhh, sure". So there I was, 10 minutes away from the milonga start, with no play lists, no cortinas, on my first night as a DJ at a milonga. Sweet!

It's tough to say how did I do. Most people were dancing at all times, so I'll take that as a good sign, but aside from a couple of them, no one came to say if they were liking or disliking the music. I did ask K, who is Russian, and if you want a blunt response to a question, the best people to ask are Russians or East Europeans. He said it was OK, he didn't particularly like it or dislike it, but he liked the music I play at practicas better. Huh... I thought I did play sort of the same music. I did save my ad hoc build play list, so I'll look to see how it compares with the lists I made for practicas.

Tonight I'm DJing again and tomorrow I'm DJing the practica at MIT. That's a lot of DJing this week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Overall the quality of music was good, but I was rather exhausted so sat out more than I normally would have. My main thoughts were:

1) There was a De Angelis tanda with Re Fa Si early in the evening that I didn't personally much care for, but then I'm not generally much of a De Angelis fan. The fact that it was followed by some De Angelis vals shortly thereafter didn't help (although his vals I do tend to like).

2) There was one milonga tanda later in the night - super fast with odd instrumentation, not sure what it was, but it didn't work for me either.

3) There was a mixed orchestra vals tanda that really didn't gel.

4) There was a fabulous Troilo tanda.

Good luck tonight!

Debbi said...

Sorry I missed your premature DJ debut! But no one wants what I am getting over, and I wanted to be able to dance tonight at your, uhm, debut.... heh heh heh.
Looking forward to saying "Yes, he does dance well. Yes, he is a good DJ. Yes, he did make those pants. Yes, they do look good. Yes, you can just call me The Girlfriend......." ;-)

Unknown said...

Although I can't drop composer's names as easily as Caleb does, I actually liked the music, which was a surprise to me. haha.

I also appreciated our honest critiques of each other's technique while dancing with you again (at the unexpected men's-only portion of the evening).

STAN

Debbi said...

Hang on!!! I missed the men's only portion of OTM?!?!?
That's it! I am never getting sick again, I don't want to miss out on that ever!