Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Guerilla milonga

Since yesterday I had an itch to dance, but there was nothing going on in Boston, I decided to do something about it. Late afternoon I sent an email to all the people from Boston I have an email for, inviting them to a "Guerilla Milonga". That is a milonga that takes place in a public space (in this case the Porter Sq subway station) without permission. Subway stations are perfect for this as if you're getting kicked out, you just take the train to the next station and start again ... ;-)

I was there at 8:30 as I promised I would. Debbi was working late so I was alone. Good thing I had a book, as it was at least 9pm until one other person showed up. Unfortunately it was another leader. Then around 9:30 another leader showed up. Huh ... Part of the reason I wanted to do this in a public space was to expose people to real argentine tango and see if we can grow the community. Well, it seems like a catch 22 here, to expose people to tango you need some people to dance tango with ... All together, by 10:30 there were 7 of us, 3 followers and 4 leaders.

It was actually fun, we danced until midnight. No one bothered us, but I did notice something funny. People in Boston are socially awkward. They would pass by pretending they didn't see us, until they would be at a "safe" distance and that's when they would stop, turn around and look for a while. It's like they were ashamed they were looking. Next time I will bring a big sign that says "We're not selling anything. Please feel free to stop and look".

I'll try this again at some point. I'll try next time to give people more notice. If you are from Boston and you didn't get my invite yesterday, send me an email, I'll add you to my list. Which I will never make public.

One other thing about US and the east coast in particular is that people are workaholics. Quite a few replies to my invitation said things along the lines "I'm swamped at work". Huh? At 9PM? I miss home sometimes (that would be Romania). People can't wait to leave work. People go to work because they have no other option. Here people buy more stuff then they can afford then they have work 12 hours a day to pay for it. This is in my opinion the devastating effect of easy credit. Romania was a cash society. If you don't have the money, you can't buy it. Unfortunately that is changing. Along with McDonalds, the easy credit, financial trouble and obesity is finding it's way to that part of the world as well. Bummer.

7 comments:

Debbi said...

Last night was a lot of fun! It really was funny how people would sneak looks at what we were doing until they were safely on the escalator, then they would turn around and stare as they rose up and away from us. With all the solicitors nowadays, I am not surprised that people are a little shy of getting involved in something they don't understand.

It was also cool that some people did stop and watch us and ask what we were doing. We even gave a reluctant introduction to tango (reluctant because I am not an instructor, but the gentleman was insistent on learning something) and gave him some local instructor's names to call for beginner classes.

I hope we do this more often, it was a great time! :-)

miss tango said...

Good on you Sorin, for being proactive and helping propel the Tango Revolution!

Maria said...

Guerrilla Milongas are a fantastic invention... good that you are expanding them even further!!! (Though I admit I have a workoholism problem myself, ehem)

Also thanks for the link on Tango genealogy--very useful!

La Sastresa said...

Last year in Romania was an event organized by Teatrul Masca in the subway stations ! Everything was very official, (http://www.adevarul.ro/articole/incep-spectacolele-la-metrou/329424), and my "ex-tango school" was invited.

All you had to do was to give the CD with the music to the subway station "management" and you were free to dance (this i've been told). I never went, but now I realize is a good ideea! I thik this event just begun again, I'll see, and if it happens with tango, I will write about it! Thanks reminding me this!

La Nuit Blanche said...

"Guerilla Milonga" -- exciting!

Elizabeth Brinton said...

We used to call it "Hit and Run" tango, in Seattle, but it has been changed to "Spontango" after a number of tango people got into bike accidents. After that "Hit and Run" just seemed like asking for trouble.

tangobaby said...

Guerilla tango--that's a wonderful idea! I'm glad you had people join you. I wish we had something like that here in SF. We've had some outdoor milongas but they were never impromptu.

The last part of your post got me thinking. I just read somewhere in the last day or so that the average American watches television ON AVERAGE 4.5 hours of TV PER DAY.

Can the people who have no time for anything besides work be wasting valuable minutes in front of the TV when they could be dancing? I bet so...