Friday, February 29, 2008

About the allnighter and a rant on appologies on the dance floor

Saturday Deb and I went to the monthly all nighter in Providence. The place was livelier then it was in the last few months, not in small part because of Robin Thomas who managed to convince a NY contingent to show up.

After opening the night with Debbi as usual (we did have a lot of fun with a milonga set) I danced with Kayla, Robin's partner. Despite a cold, she was just as fun as always. The music was great, Robin is one of my favorite DJs and 3 tandas passed in a blink of eye. At some point between tandas I mentioned that in my effort to correct my posture my back tension is ... well... back. She suggested I don't bring my chest forward when I dance, but rather widen my shoulders. That's something I will be trying, as it makes sense to me.

I danced with a couple of women who despite being good dancers kept apologizing for their (perceived) mistakes. This is something I strongly discourage people from doing (unless someone got hurt of course). First, you don't really know if whatever you thought you done wrong was wrong to begin with, second, it's a partner dance, a hiccup in the dance is rarely caused 100% by just one of the dancers. It's generally a shared responsibility. Even if something gone wrong is the fault of one of the dancers, apologizing not only it doesn't help with anything, but it makes things worst. Let's say the hiccup lasted for a second or two. If you keep silent and concentrate on the dance, that's all there is to it. If you apologize you take another 2-3 seconds and then if your partner feels like they are to blame they will take a few seconds to reply. So, instead of a 2 second disruption from the dance, now it's a 10 second disruption. My advice is, don't apologize unless someone gets hurt/hit. If you feel like you really have to apologize, wait until the song is over.

Overall it a good night of dancing, we stayed until 3:30am I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sorin sorry, I'll try to shut up next time, sorry dude. This is going to be a difficult habit to suppress. Sorry. Duct tape?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ...though I can kind of see your point, it's not enough to convince me. There are MANY other, far more annoying tango habits and bad etiquette so let's not rant about the one that mostly nice people possess. They usually can't turn off being polite or apologetic just because it's a dance setting. At least I don't think that most do it out of coyness.

Red Shoes said...

I try to remember to switch my impulse to "I'm sorry" into "do that again, will you?" ...it usually works...

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sorin. I'm one of those people who apologize constantly, even when not on the dance floor, so it's a bad habit. BUT at the next milonga/practica, I'm going to make the effort not to apologize and just move on. I lose the momentum, the confidence, and instead of enjoying the connection, I tense up and worry about the rest of the tanda. Thanks :)