Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tuesday

Last night I went to the "Odd Tuesday" milonga. It's one of the better ones in Boston as far as the quality of dancers, but once the again the very limited space on the dance floor cramped my style. I doubt I will ever enjoy dancing in a crowd.

The only really good tanda was with P, a local dancer on some rather odd music before everybody arrived. Speaking of odd music, S, the DJ last night played some odd sets. Some people seem to enjoy dancing on music which is not normally played at milongas. I don't, I prefer to dance on music I really like, because if I dance on music I don't care for, my dancing becomes monotonous and boring, I just go on "auto-pilot".

So last night I decided on a new "strategy". Instead of just sitting when there is music I don't particularly like, I will ask the newer members of the community. They are unlikely to notice the difference, and it's very useful to dance with more advanced dancers as I learned very early in my tango "career". I would suggest to the more experienced dancers to do the same. You might make someone's night and help with the development of the community. Especially advanced followers, when you have 10 minutes to spare, find a beginner leader and ask him to dance. It helped me a lot when I was starting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorin,

While I appreciate using initials when semi-identifying people you dance with, as the DJ at a public event - just use my name!
One of the goals I have for the OTM is to try new things. My first alternative song 'Ya-takoy' by the Con Artists did not work - big break in the middle no one knew what to do with it. The second one 'Ganja Babe' by Michael Franti And Spearhead I thought was very danceable - but only the better dancers could do it. The less experienced dancers got lost. Oh well (so much for least common denominator theory) - everyone had a good time, and I got great feedback (like "that song sucked!").
Small spaces - I understand your outlook, for me I like small (or crowded) dance floors, as long as floorcraft is acceptable. I find that it assists in my dancing creativity and gives me an experience of all of us dancing together. My first ronda experience (Denver, 2003) was incredible! I wish it for you!
Like your blog. Hell, I like you.
Pushing the limits - one micron at a time,
Steve