Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A review for the "milonga review site" ...

So the first independent review of my "Milonga Reviews" site is out and ... (insert leitmotif from "Jaws" to create suspense) ... the author tears it to shreds!

First, I would like to thank the author for taking the time to comment on it. I'm not being facetious , I appreciate feedback on my efforts, even if they are not positive. But I would like to respond to some of his opinions. And since the forum he chose to state his opinions doesn't have a way for me to respond there, I'll respond here.

"All you need is one disgruntled jerk to tarnish the reputation of a good venue. Allowing anonymous comments just encourages that."

There is a saying in Romania (where I'm from), in a rough translation would sound like "It takes more then one flower (to sprout) to be spring". One would hope that a negative comment from a disgruntled jerk would not be enough to make a dent in the reputation of a good venue. Besides, you'd think some fans of that venue would jump in and reply to that jerk. And if you think that, you'd be correct, since that already happened!

"If people don't like a venue and the promoters choose not to fix the problem, the customers can chose not patronize that place"

Well, the customers would have to patronize that venue at least once, spending time and money before they realize there is something there they don't like.

"By setting up the website in its current state, it looks like he created the website so he could have a public forum for his *own* opinions."

At the top of the main page my website states "If you'd like to submit a review for an event that is not yet on the list please format the info as it is in the existing entries and email it to me at ...". So far, no one did, but I'm hopeful. It takes time and effort to write a review and not everyone is willing to make that effort. If BW would like to contribute with a review or comment, he is welcome to do so, even if I don't agree with it.

"I bet the webmaster of that website thinks that he shouldn't have sent a second note insisting that I list his website."

My second email I sent to the author of the article, the email where I was supposedly "insisting" he should list my website is quoted in it's entirety below (some of it is in response to a comment he made in the email I was responding to, the relevant part being "If I think your website is relevant to the audience of my website, I will add it."):

"I only sent this email to Argentine tango dancers/websites, so I would hope a (non-commercial) tango events review site would be relevant to their audience. So far, the feedback I had was positive.

Thank you for your consideration

Regards


Sorin
"


Before I buy a product or a service I usually look for review sites, in particular the ones that allow comments. I belive that is a useful public service. And I will continue to provide it as long as I have readers.

1 comment:

Debbi said...

I think that being able to find information about milongas either within your area or an area you are visiting is a great idea. If I know what the general populace consensus of the venue and/or event is, I can better make a decision as to whether or not I want to check it out, or, as in the case when visiting cities with multiple options on a given night, which event I would most likely prefer to attend. My only comment is that more people should comment on the review blog so that more opinions and ideas can be shared.