Thursday, January 04, 2007

a year since the very first tango lesson ... part 1

Soon, on the 12th of January it will be exactly one year since my first tango lesson. I remember vividly the first few minutes. It was at the BCAE near the Public Garden in their big ballroom. There were about 12 of us, we were all kind of quiet, looking at each other inquisitively, "umm, now what?".

The class was supposed to be taught by Simonida, one of the local instructors, with Roger as her assistant. But she was still in BsAs so Roger was the one trying to teach us how to walk the tango way ...

A video of that first class would've been hilarious ... I swear, at the end of the 90 minutes, I was walking like Robocop (trying way too hard to follow all the rules one needs to follow to keep the tango gods happy). The only reason I went back the next time was because I prepaid for the entire 5 week set.

The reason I started tango to begin with originated at a party I attended in Nov 2005. There, a couple started to dance together and I was intrigued on how on earth one would choreograph such moves in a fashion that allows the dancers to navigate around random obstacles. Yes, I did not know the concept of a lead/follow dance. To me, all the "ballroom" dances were a series of pre-set, rehearsed, choreographed moves. Imagine my surprise when they (the couple I mentioned before) told me it was "just" improv, him leading and her following. But the real surprise was that they only knew each other for 3 days. Wow. So I told them I'd like to learn how to do that as it was "really cool". They told me about the lessons and such, and they ended with "be careful though, it will take over your life ...".

Those were prophetic words ... In the last year my "default" activity during the evening (you know, what one does if they don't have anything in particular to do) switched from watching TV to dancing. Most Friday and Saturday evenings I'd go dancing. I have now 4 pairs of shoes and will likely get more. I'm making tango pants ... Tango is truly addictive, and it gets more addictive the better you get. Because once you get good enough to enjoy the dance, you get to have those absolutely perfect dances once in a while and then you spend the rest of the time chasing the next perfect one. But, I'm thinking there are much worst things to be addicted to ...

So, here am I, a year later. How is my tango dancing? I think it is pretty good (considering it's been just a year). During the New Year Party, as I was chatting with one of the better dancers there between tangas, when I referred to myself as a beginner, she said "what are you talking about, you are divine to dance with". Divine? Taken at face value, that would boost my ego right through the roof all the way into the stratosphere ... However, I'd like to believe I'm anchored solidly in reality, so I am well aware of the fact that my dancing can use a lot of work in every aspect of it, but even when you "subtract" from "divine" the healthy amount of "padding" that people use when they pay compliments, I still think she must've enjoyed our dancing quite a bit. For the record R, you are absolutely divine to dance with as well (and I am not using any "padding"). If it wasn't for that milonga tanga that broke the momentum, I would've danced with you until morning or until my feet would've come undone, whichever came first.

So, yeah, milonga. My nemesis. It constantly does this. I stumble upon a great dancer, we dance tanga after tanga and then they play a milonga and I have to bail. And I see the disappointment on their faces and I feel like slapping myself for not "getting" this dance faster. Why do I have to bail? I can certainly "fake" it, but I'd rather not. I feel like people go to a milonga to have fun, not to be the guinea pigs for my milonga learning experiments... So, unless someone volunteers knowing exactly when are they getting into, I'll keep bailing until I can dance at a level that satisfies me. At a practica though it's a different matter, I will "torture" anyone I can find ;)

Speaking of milonga, at the New Year party there was this guy from NY, I don't know his name, but he was the best milonga dancer I've seen. Ever. When I grow up, I want to be just like him. I would've told him, but I thought that might've freaked him out ...

So, to celebrate the one year of tango, on Jan 13th I rented the studio from Providence Tango and I am throwing an all night party/milonga. So far there are at least 50 confirmed guests, I would expect this is going to be a really cool party.

(to be continued ...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, like you, I've reached full circle - seems like it's been quite a transformative year for the both of us.