Monday, January 22, 2007

Following ...

Yesterday I followed for the first time. Yes, I did follow on occasion a couple of steps, when somebody was showing me a specific figure or step, but I never followed for more then 5 seconds.

Yesterday though after I lead S for a few tandas and getting a lot us really useful feedback, she asked, "do you follow a little?". Uhh, "yeah, but very little, I'd love to learn though". She said, "relax, step decisively, don't think". Hmm, rather familiar suggestions, I'm usually the one saying that though ...

So we got into the embrace (close) and off we went. WOW! That was fantastic. I'm sure I misread 50% of the steps but what a rush. I had no idea what steps were we doing, where I was in the room, who was around me, none of the things I'm usually dealing with. It was just the connection and the music. Awesome. S said it was more pleasant to lead me then a lot of other (I assume she meant beginner) "full time" followers. Oh? Well, apparently I can keep my balance, I support my weight, I step decisively, I have a good embrace and I wait for the lead (even though I'm mostly misreading it). Hmm, yeah, I'd dance with me ;) I think I'll ask some of the better leaders at the next practica to lead me for a while. It would be nice to dance with S again and actually be able to follow the lead.

I wish more women would learn how to lead. It would be nice to experience this more often. Yes, I know I can dance with men, and I will, but it's not the same. Tango is a sensual dance and while it can be completely non-sexual, I'm not comfortable with that level of intimacy with another man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are a few women who lead quite well around here. After your post, I'm definitely asking one of them to lead me for a while.

I've only tried following once, and just for a few beats. Your description of the feeling is absolutely perfect.

Cheers,
Ricard