Thursday, June 04, 2009

BsAs 2009 - Day 2

Well, day 2 was a bit of a bust tango wise. We went to check out the afternoon milonga at Confiteria Ideal. Pretty place, there was no one (that could dance) there.

Then we went to Salon Canning around 8pm for the "evening" milonga. Same thing. Me and Debbi we sat separately so she can get asked to dance. I didn't ask anyone except Debbi, as there was no one there I wanted to dance with, Debbi danced a couple of times.

Then we went to El Beso but sat separately. Naturally, I got a seat at a table in a pretty bad spot (even though I learned later, that was not the worst spot). The entire night aside from dancing with Debbi and a friend who met us there, I danced with 3 other people out of the 9 people that I thought looked good. By looking good, I mean people that I would've asked to dance at a festival if I had the chance.Out of the 9, two of them were there with their boyfriends so they danced only with them, two came late and they were practically impossible to catch, as they were passed from one leader to another and the other two avoided my cabaceo. The lesson I learned, if the table you are seated at is not well placed, and you sit, you'll not get dances. So I went and hung out at the bar, from where I got the dances I did (despite the advice of a friend who said only the losers hang out at the bar so I won't get any dances there). The music was OK, the navigation was pretty good. All in all, I was bored to tears. It's unlikely I'll go back there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorin - i didn't say only losers sit at the bar! where you were sitting at the table is first rate seating for the men - it indicates you are a worthy dancer. but if you had more luck at the bar then that's a good thing. sorry to hear you were bored there - it's off tourist season so the milongas are pretty quiet right now.

Tina said...

It was a good idea to hang at the bar. Whoever said only losers hang out there is mistaken. Good dancers hang out there too - especially when there are no seats left, or if it will make it easier to see the person they want to dance with. I'm having fun following your adventures.

La Nuit Blanche said...

dear sorin!

no no, canning can be wonderful!!! especially on monday nights, when they have live music...

remember to look behind you, and next to you, next time, for the cabaceo. men tend to forget about the women sitting behind them, or at the tables next to them... i got so many dances just looking over at the table next to me, after squinting across the dancefloor for a while.

Tina said...

I should add though, that if you want to dance with the regular portena's, take the seat you're given, and show up at that same milonga every week, same time. Eventually they know your face and all goes well. Organizers start to seat you in better spots too - but only if you keep coming back.