Monday, November 24, 2008

Catalyst ...

A recent message in my "Honesty Box" on Facebook helped me understand what it would be my next challenge in dancing tango. While it wasn't really anything new to me, it did help articulate the thought.

The problem is that for me to dance well, I need a catalyst. It could be music I really like, a partner I connect with really well, the phase of the moon, who knows what else it could be. It seems rare, if ever, that I get inspired when none of these elements are extraordinary.

While I have little to no clues on how to even start, defining the problem is the very first step ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you think it might be a combination of the things you just described? (except for the moon phase-not too sure about that one). I've seen you dancing in milongas and one thing that I think would help you enjoy it more is to do less steps, and more frequent and longer pauses, especially when dancing to late Di Sarli or Pugliese. Give it a try on the next practica if you wish, and we'll see if I was on to something.

Sorin said...

Dear Anonymous, I think you may have misinterpreted what I wrote (or I wasn't clear).

My issue is needing a catalyst to get inspiration, not finding other ways to interpret the music (not that is a bad idea).

Anonymous said...

My bad, I guess i just misinterpreted. What does it for me is to dance with people I like and have things in common with. But I guess this is something very personal, right?

Sallie Vandagrift said...

Stumbled across your blog and I've really enjoyed it. It's nice to read tango blogging from real people (i.e. not tango gods) I was just blogging this evening about these entities myself.
Thanks for the good read,
sallie

Anonymous said...

So, how has this been working for you?