Friday, September 14, 2007

"You should never ... You should always ..."

Recently I've read and heard in person a lot of ... wisdom about tango dancing. One blogger in particular has an affinity for buzz words/phrases, like "lead with the core" or "the right hand (of the follower) is useless in close embrace" and a myriad of other bits of advice which are advertised as absolutes, as in, you're committing some sort of tango sin if you dare to do otherwise.

For the very experienced and accomplished tango dancers, this is just noise they got used to, but for a beginner it's very confusing. Especially when these things come from people with authority, like for example an Argentine instructor who's been dancing for 263 years and was featured in 17 movies. Which reminds me, what's up with the habit of introducing a teacher and making a big deal out of how many movies they were featured in? Who the hell cares about that? How is acting in movies or performing on stage relevant to the skills required to teach salon tango? But I digress.

So, when an instructor you respect utters an immutable rule "You shall not use your left hand for anything" and then at the next workshop with another tango guru you're taught to use that hand to lead something people get confused. Who is right? Who is wrong? Not only that, but if you watch those people dance, you are likely to see them break all the rules themselves taught.

Here is my conclusion and advice, as it stands now, after a year an a half of intensive tango. It may change in the future. Others may disagree.

There are very few, if any, hard rules in tango. Shorey Myers, one of my "tango crushes", insists for me to hold my left hand in a very specific way, advice also given by many other instructors or dancers. Yet two of my favorite dancers from NY, both of them amazing dancers, they both expressed their strong preference for the way I was holding my left hand, which was almost the opposite of what the "rule" said. They found it cozy and intimate and told me I should not change it. Lately I've been experimenting with different hand positions, the one recommended by Shorey being one of them, and several dancers commented positively about the "new" embrace.

Teachers will often simplify things for people at the beginning of their tango career, knowing it will come a time when the "rule" will not longer make sense. What do you do then? It up to you. Personally, I try to accomodate the preferences of my partners unless that impedes my dancing. If it does, I'll do what works for me. Luckily humans are too "flawed" to follow the same rules all the time. It would be very boring to dance if everyone would have the same embrace, same technique, same feel to the dance.

But, yes, there are hard rules, but some of them are hardly tango rules. It's common sense. Although lately, the common sense doesn't seem so common anymore. For those who misplaced their common sense, here are some of the "hard" rules :

Don't hurt your partner or others. Don't make your partner uncomfortable. Don't be a bitch or an asshole. Remember that people have feelings. Don't take advantage of people. Don't stink. Don't be dirty. Pretty much all of these rules are taught in the kindergarten. If any of these rules are a surprise to you, you may want to seek help.

There are some "rules" that are more important then others when it comes to the actual dance, but I'm not going to go there today. I'll just cover one subject which I consider the most important "rule" there is when it comes to dancing tango. It's a simple rule to remember. Here it is :

Rule : Don't forget to dance.

Let me explain. Tango is dance. A dance, by definition is moving to the music. For a movement to be a dance, there must be a correlation between the music and the movement. The absolute simplest correlation between movement and music is walking on the (main) beat. Walking on the main beat is the simplest form of musicality there is. It's the very first step of very many, towards being musical. If you are executing figures without any relation to the music that is playing, regardless of the proficiency and precision you are executing them with, YOU ARE NOT DANCING. I get sometimes compliments on being a "musical dancer". Musical dancer. Just the fact that the term "musical dancer" was coined it's sad. It should be an tautology (antonym of oxymoron). It isn't. Please make it an tautology. Pretty please?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Musical dancer. Just the fact that the term "musical dancer" was coined it's sad."

sorin! i love this post!

i agree with you that "Luckily humans are too "flawed" to follow the same rules all the time." it's fun to adjust to each leader's embrace. the way different people hold me let's me know what kind of personality they have, or what they are feeling at the moment to a particular piece of music.

it's similar to how you could close your eyes and have someone hug you, and you'd be able to recognize which friend is in front of you -- a subtle combination of pressure, scent, timing, gesture, warmth, breath...

and to be able to dance within the embrace, and also with the embrace, is a great thing.

besos.

Anonymous said...

Musical dancer. Just the fact that the term "musical dancer" was coined it's sad. It should be an oxymoron. It isn't. Please make it an oxymoron. Pretty please?

So almost true, except that oxymoron means the opposite of what you want it to.

Anonymous said...

Don't discount a complement of being a musical dancer. To be a musical tango dancer doesn't mean to be rhythmically with a beat. It requires a lot of musical interpretation to dance tango. Long and slow movements or sharp and short, light and airy or angry and intense. Also a pause can be extremely musical too. Tango dancing is exactly like reciting a poem. Your rendition depends on the context. Every tune is danced differently. If you can hear it and implement it with your feet and get complemented on your musicality, in my view, it's the highest praise you can get. And "the perfect embrace"...it'll come, it's something that comes with learning and practicing.

Sorin said...

Caleb. Good point, that's what happens when I write before getting (enough) coffee. I fixed it.

What I meant was that a "non-musical dancer" is an oxymoron or conversely that a "musical dancer" is a tautology. Or it should be, but it isn't, as there are many people that are "dancing" without paying any attention to the music.

Zoya. I was not discounting the compliment. I do consider it the best compliment there is. It made me sad though, that being a "musical dancer" is apparently rare enough that people feel the need to compliment you for it, should you be one. In other words, it made me sad that so few people are actually paying attention to the music.

Danzarin said...

Sorin, great post!
Unfortunately there are a lot of things in tango and in life that should be a tautology, but are not. There is nothing that makes a follower (and I suspect a leader as well) happier more than a great, unusual interpretation of music. That is what makes us swoon, not the 10th gancho!

Debbi said...

Great word!! (and yes, I did know what it means) ;-)

Unknown said...

“… what's up with the habit of introducing a teacher and making a big deal out of how many movies they were featured in?”

That’s funny, Sorry. Have you ever seen this done anywhere else but Boston?

Unknown said...

Sorry, Sorin! I mean to say "That's funny, Sorin."

Anonymous said...

Another great post. As someone who is only 6 months into tango, I really struggle with what to believe with all the conflicting "rules" (land with the heel touching first; land with the toe first; the left hand should be exactly at the shoulder height of the follower; and so on).

For now, I've decided to go with my general rule #1, If something works, do it.

BTW, I've experimented with your method of holding the left hand (I recognized you at at one of the Longa Milonga's in Providence), and my wife seems to like it.

Anonymous said...

And what is sublime is to dance with someone who is hearing the same music that you are hearing. NB: not listening to, but HEARING.