Friday, September 21, 2007

Women leading ...

There is a blogger who's postings I've been enjoying for a while, and at some point in her tango career, she started leading. Apparently that sparked a lot of mixed reactions, some of which I find odd. She was writing about people (mostly men) making nasty comments and getting weird reactions from women. And this is not happening in some god forsaken part of the country, but in a cosmopolitan, allegedly progressive city.

So, if any of these men are reading this, let me congratulate you. By making those comments you are without a doubt identifying yourself as the insecure, misogynistic assholes you are. Are you afraid that you will become obsolete, when enough women will learn to lead and the other women will prefer to dance with someone that actually knows how to dance? You should. Actually I have a bit of an advice for you, quit while you are ahead. THAT will show them and by depriving them of your sublime dancing skills, you will have your satisfaction. And we'll have a asshole free tango scene. Everybody wins.

Americans, particularly women, are taught from a young age to be "nice", to be politically correct, to avoid confrontation, which is rather amusing considering the position of US in the world. So it's likely that not many of these assholes are confronted, which only encourages them to keep at it. I on the other hand, am not American. I didn't get the "be nice" indoctrination. There are a few women leaders in my community I really like. Debbi, my girlfriend is learning to lead. If I ever hear about anyone giving any of them a hard time, I promise you, I will make it my mission in life to make your life so miserable in the tango community until you'll quit. I embarked on quite a few of these "missions" in my life and I have yet to fail in accomplishing any one of them. Don't say I didn't warn you.

So, my advice to you? Feel free not to like women leading.

Just shut the fuck up!

7 comments:

Elizabeth Brinton said...

"An asshole free tango scene" What a concept!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you seem to be very protective of women who want to branch out to the other side of the embrace. Good for you! I wish more men were this way. I dance in NYC and have heard some rather rude remarks about women leading, which is surprising and upsetting. Especially because I have yet to hear a rude remark about men following.... rather strange, no?

Anonymous said...

Nice to see that you've accepted the idea that Debi is a better leader than yourself (*and* a better follower).

Sorin said...

She's been a better follower for a while now. As far as leading ... she has some catching up to do ;-)

Debbi said...

Wow. Uhm. wow.
I think I have a long path ahead of me before I can match Sorin as a leader. He is really an excellent leader, creative and playful. As far as my being the better follower, well, I certainly look better in the outfits than he would. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sorin, Sorin, Sorin! Wherefrom all this anger??!!! And declaring a mission of destruction??!!! Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Ok, I know. Tango brings out the passion in all of us. But purists are entitled to their opinions as well, aren't they? No need to slay them; just avoid them if they so disturb you.

Besides, there are many reasons why some people don't like the notion of women leading, only some of them about "macho crap". Some are quite legitimate.

Learning to lead - or taking control - can be very satisfying for women, especially if they are struggling with the "surrender" aspect of following. But it can and does interfere with their ability to follow. Perhaps some of the complaints stem from dancing with these followers.

There is nothing wrong with "branching out". But I would advise anyone hoping to become a great follower, but still struggling with "surrender", to postpone learning to lead.

Sorin said...

The purists or whoever else they can have any opinion whatsoever. Nothing however justifies making nasty comments to those women.