Thursday, May 31, 2007

Providence Alternative Tango Fest - The "official" photographer

I was the "official" photographer for this festival, which was fun. Photography is a passion, which was overtaken by tango in the last year, but it's now making a comeback. I've taken over 600 pictures and it will take me a bit to go through all of them, weed out the bad shots, fix what can be fixed, crop, resize, adjust colors & levels (so if you are waiting to see the pictures, please be patient). I also took video of the performances (and a little video of the events) and will post that soon as well

For this festival I implemented an idea I had for a while, I setup a projector hooked up to my laptop, and once in a while I'd download the pictures from the camera in the laptop and have the projector display on a wall a slide show of the pictures that were taken (you can see the projection on the back wall in the picture). People seemed to enjoy checking out the pictures, even though they were in their "raw", unedited form (all "duds" included : like badly focused, overexposed, underexposed, etc).

The light levels are very low at these events so I brought two radio remote controlled strobes. Sadly one of them went bad almost right away, but I use the other one which in "cooperation" with my on camera strobe worked pretty well. If I decide to try to make a business from taking pictures at these type of events, I'll probably have to acquire a lot more remote controlled lights. Maybe 5 or 6.

The great unknown is the demand for pictures and people's willingness to pay for them. Would people be interested in buying prints? Or maybe hi resolution files? It's unlikely one would be able to make a living with this, but if I could cover some of my tango expenses, that would be nice. Maybe I should make a poll and see what people think about a service like this.


1 comment:

Maria said...

Hum, you know, I think I would be willing to pay for some nice pics of me dancing (or some little movie, even). But I"m not sure about other Tangueros. I think people spend so much on traveling, milongas, shoes, and the like, that it's hard to get much more out of them... no kidding many people think we are cheap!! The other issue is that with so many bloggers/people posting digital pics for free on the web, it may get tricky to persuade people to pay for the (much higher) quality your prints would provide. It's almost like you would need to be catering not to those tangueros who want the "memory" of the milonga (as an impression) but to those that want a nice photo of them dancing tango...

Just a thought...