Friday, May 18, 2007

Automobiles as a metaphor for followers...

There is person in the tango community who uses automobiles as a metaphor to refer to women/followers. By the choice of brand/model of the cars this person is choosing, it is obvious he means this as a compliment, yet I can't help but cringe every time I read one of these posts. While the cars mentioned are marvelous pieces of technology, often of beautiful design, they are still a big chunk of metal that is 100% reactive. As in, they don't do anything unless the driver initiates it (well, one would hope they don't, otherwise whoever drives it it's screwed, and not in a good way).

To me, if I was a follower, especially if I was an awesome dancer, being compared to a car, even one that costs a quarter of a million USD, it would be almost an insult. I am somewhat curios to hear from women how do they feel when (as tango dancers) they are compared with automobiles.

6 comments:

Debbi said...

I do NOT like the analogy of cars and followers. I have heard from several sources that leaders like to "drive" certain followers. To be honest, I have no interest in being driven, I am interested in sharing a dance. There have been multiple attempts at describing followers as different inert (reactive is a good word) items, and it all bugs me. Just talk about how the dance was, how the connection was, how the conversation was. There are plenty of words out there to describe the experience. Use those instead of the stereotypical male analogy of women as cars. Haven't we past the 1950's over half a century ago?

Anonymous said...

Good point - the problem with comparing women to cars is that you are inferring that a Porsche, being terribly expensive, is superior to another when really, it's all relative to taste and preferences.
To say a follower is as easy to manipulate as some Porsche is...uh...well, disturbing, not to mention in bad taste. On the other hand, to say such a thing gives me insight to the source's true character.

Anonymous said...

the phrase "So, how does she handle?..." is bad enough applied to real cars, when it's trotted out to describe a woman it's nauseating.

Maria said...

Dear Sorin,

Actually..., :-) I had an opportunity to dance with the Tanguero you are talking about at Portland's Valentango. There, he told me: "Uh... I can immediately tell you are a porsche...!" at the start of the tanda. I know he meant well--to pay me a big compliment on my dancing skills--and so, at the time, I didn't take it badly at all; rather, I smiled and thanked him, and we continued the dance. I also don't get the impression that he's interested in "driving" anyone, or that he does not respect his follows, much the contrary, I have the impression that he's honestly focused on getting a connection and listening to his partners.

That said, in principle, I'd agree with Debbi and Caroline on the fact that it sounds odd, and it has the risk that it can easily be misunderstood as an offense, or a tasteless comment.

miss tango said...

I have never compared dancers as a specific automobile, I do feel like I am in a bumber car ride sometimes.

But when it comes to walking on the street, I definitely compare people and driving abilities, and like to think of myself as a high performance vehicle such as a Porche in tight spaces. Often I pray most of these pedestrians do not drive cars.

Anonymous said...

I know a lady who was told by one guy that she was like a Ferrari: once she's warmed up she's easy to ride. He meant as a compliment, of course. Her reply "Vroom vroom" and walked away. Didn't dance with him ever again.