Friday, June 15, 2007

Boston tango festival - Day 2

Thursday was the second milonga, at the same space. It was pretty much the same as the day before, it just seemed like there were less people, which I find odd. Maybe a lot of people came Wednesday to see the performances. Same horrifying lack of floor craft (Deb got hit in the head by one of the local "dancers", that guy is a menace on the dance floor, yet he thinks he's fantastic. He actually TEACHES tango and he gets gigs to showcase tango at weddings like you can see by following this link. I shudder at the thought of people watching him and thinking that is what tango is.), same light setup and once again the milonga ended at midnight. Sigh ...

Speaking of performances. It's rare I enjoy watching a performance more then watching the same people dancing socially. That's because in most cases, it seems like the dancers feel they have to do amazing athletic things in a performance, and the whole thing looks like a circus act.

I found it weird that argentine dancers would dance (at least during performances) almost exclusively in open embrace. I thought they are supposed to prize the connection and intimacy of the dance beyond anything else.

I feel that we might have a vicious circle going. The performers probably feel like they would not be as entertaining if they didn't go overboard with the athletics, so they keep doing it, and at the same time they make people think this is what tango is all about, so they sort of create the "monsters" who want them to execute the "dancing with the stars" performances. It's quite a shame I think.

I danced with one of the argentine instructors at the end of the night, on the last two songs (two versions of the "La Cumparsita"). On the first song she felt a little stiff and mechanical, like she was bracing for disaster ;), so I kept it simple and stayed in open embrace. On the second song, I switched to close and by the second half I felt we were really dancing (as in, she was participating in the dance rather then just tentatively going along for the ride). I wish it wasn't the end of the night, as I would need a few more dances to figure out if I could create a really good connection with her. Please note that I'm not questioning her proficiency in the technical aspects of the dance, I'm talking about how well we managed to connect with each other and the "chemistry" of the dance. It was too little to figure it out. Maybe I'll get another shot at it later.

Of course dancing what seemed to be the last dance of the evening with somebody else got me in trouble as Debbi likes to end the evening dancing with me, so she excused herself to the person she was dancing with only to sit down alone for the last song. Ouch. In my defense, I looked for her when the first "La Cumparsita" started and she was dancing with Miles, so I went to chat with the DJ and sort of ran into the teacher and without thinking it through, I asked her for a dance. Since I asked her halfway through the song, I felt it would've been really rude to excuse myself after just half a song, so I felt I had to continue.

When I got back to the table Deb was looking really disappointed, so not wanting to leave things as they were, I grabbed my cell phone, which among other things it's an mp3 player, quickly found "Re, Fa, Si" (Biagi), put the phone on speaker and asked Deb for the last dance of the night. So off we went, with the phone kept really close to our ears and had our last song of the night. Miles took pictures and some video of this dance which you can see below. So that's how I managed to dug myself out of the hole ;)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Circus act. Yes. Very apt description of that abomination you linked to. The lack of musicality is painful to watch.

Gustavo said...

...and the funny thing is: the dude actually thinks he's awesome!!! Sorin is dead right, I was watching him dance at the fest and laughing my ass out as he kept doing all these weirdo gestures and bumping on other people.

Anonymous said...

That is quite possibly the sweetest last dance I have yet to see. Good thinking on your part!! And your girl's face tells us everything we need to know. :-)

As far as the menace goes, I do not know who he is, but he certainly caused a lot of problems the two nights I was there. However he was not the only one who was causing big problems on the floor, there were about half a dozen dancers who did stage tango moves in that cramped space who caused bumps and bruises galore. And singling that guy out for ridicule might not be the best way to deal with him (or anyone else). Not that I can think of a good way to deal with that sort of leader, other than banning them until they can dance socially. Maybe that is the answer. In BsAs is it not uncommon for hosts to ask leaders who disrupt the flow of the dance and cause injury to others to leave. Makes dancers accountable for their actions.

Anyway, good posting on the festival. I hate to say it, but Tango de Los Muertos will be the only Boston festival that I attend from now on.